By the time most adult reach their mid-forties they require some sort of glasses to read menus, newspapers, mail and so much more. Later in life, people can begin to develop a more serious condition, cataracts.
Cataract surgery is one of the most widely performed surgeries in the world. Crystalens® is implanted.
Crystalens® is an accommodating intraocular lens that, unlike a standard IOL, can treat both a person’s cataracts and presbyopia. Crystalens® not only treats your cataracts, but can also help you to rely less on your glasses or contact lenses. It does so by recreating accommodation similar to your eye’s natural lens. The unique Crystalens® can decrease or eliminate the use of glasses for most activities including: reading a book, working on the computer, and driving a car. Crystalens® was modeled after the human eye. Like the natural lens, it uses the eye muscle to flex and accommodate in order to focus on objects in the environment at all distances. Crystalens® has the ability to adjust rapidly to your visual needs.
Cataract and Presbyopia surgery is one of the most widely performed surgeries in the world. Crystalens® is implanted during standard outpatient cataract surgery. The cataract procedure is quick and simple in that it takes about 15 minutes to complete. The procedure typically starts with eye numbing drops and a micro seal being made at the edge of the cornea. The natural lens is gently washed away and Crystalens® is implanted. Crystalens® can be implanted quickly and without the patient feeling anything. Most patients will return for a follow-up visit the day after surgery to make sure the procedure went right. The healing period is usually very short. Most patients are able to pursue normal activities almost immediately after surgery. If you are like most patients who have Crystalens®, you will be able to see clearly again.
FDA Clinical Trial Information
- 98.4% of patients implanted with Crystalens® in both eyes could pass a driver’s test without glasses
- 100% could see intermediate (24″ to 30″) without glasses, the distance for most of life’s activities
- 98.4% could see well enough to read the newspaper and the phone book without glasses.
- Some patients did require glasses for some tasks after implantation of the Crystalens®
- Significantly more patients implanted with a Crystalens® (88.4%) could see better at all distances then patients implanted with a standard IOL (35.9%)